Monday, November 3, 2014

South African things I miss...

Today, I have seven weeks left of my internship.

I am finding being away more difficult now than in the beginning. I am starting to miss random South African things, things I took for granted before.

I am going to list a few, and probably add some as they come to mind.

1) Christmas beetles - I used to find them a nuisance, but now I actually miss them. They smbolize summer, and that Christmas is near.

Source: www.whatsthatbug.com

2) Jacaranda tress - they are in full bloom now. And boy are they pretty! Especially when the streets are aligned with them.

Source: http://thejacarandas.co.za

3) Steak - I don't eat red meat often, but once in a while I feel like a good steak. So when I recently wanted to buy one here in Germany, I was told it would cost me €7. I said "No, thank you" and walked right back out the store.

Source: www.menshealth.com/mhlists/Best-Tailgate-Foods/Best_Steak.php

4) Fruit & veg selection  - we definitely take this for granted. Many fruits and vegetables can't be grown in Germany, esp. during winter time. So it's imported. That means it's expensive and often doesn't taste great.

Source: www.moneymagpie.com/article/grow-your-own

No comments:

Post a Comment